Four Commonly Asked Questions About Car Accidents

I am attorney Kevin T. Tipton with Tipton Law Offices. If you or someone you love was recently involved in a car accident, it is understandable to have questions surrounding your best steps forward.

At my law firm, I have worked closely with injured motorists in Fairmont, Morgantown and the surrounding communities. By taking the time to understand my clients’ unique situations, I can create effective personalized strategies that seek the best possible outcome.

Having practiced injury law in West Virginia for nearly 20 years, I have developed a keen insight into the types of questions victims of motor vehicle collisions have. Below are answers to four of the most commonly asked questions.

Should I Call The Police After A Minor Accident?

For accidents that result in injury, death or at least $1,000 in property damages, you must immediately notify the police. That said, it is still a good idea to contact law enforcement for a fender bender and other seemingly minor car accidents.

Having a police officer at the scene of the accident can better prevent the other driver from providing false information. Additionally, having a police report on file can strengthen your case if you wish to file a personal injury claim.

Do I Really Need To See A Doctor?

If there is any pain stemming from a car accident, you should have a doctor evaluate you. Injuries that seem minor, such as neck pain or a headache, can be signs of something more serious. Failing to speak with a doctor can greatly jeopardize your ability to recover full compensation for your injuries.

Should I Accept The Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer?

Insurance companies will often offer a settlement early in the process as a means of efficiently resolving the claim. It is possible that the settlement is fair, but it is unlikely. Insurers are ultimately concerned about their bottom lines, not your best interests. This means that the amount initially offered will typically be lower than the amount you deserve.

How Can An Attorney Help Me?

A lawyer can help review any settlement offer the insurance company makes to evaluate whether accepting it is in your long-term interests. Having resolved a broad range of complex car accident cases, including those resulting in fatal injuries, I have a level of experience negotiating directly with insurance companies. If we cannot reach a fair settlement, I will always prepare for litigation if necessary.

If you have additional questions, I invite you to schedule a free consultation today by calling my law firm at 681-404-4643. I also welcome inquiries through the contact form on my website.