After my collision, what damages can I be compensated for?

On Behalf of | Mar 19, 2019 | Car Accident Injuries, Firm News |

Car accident victims usually have to deal with far more than just physical injuries. The emotional toll of being involved in a serious collision can be debilitating, and economic damages only compound the difficult nature of the recovery process. For those in West Virginia who want to seek compensation for their damages but are unsure of what that includes, here are a few economic damages that might apply.

Being disfigured in an accident can be especially traumatic. Disfigurement can include a wide range of physical deformities, including scarring and other permanent changes to a victim’s personal appearance. Victims can sometimes receive compensation for disfigurement, while in other situations this is covered by compensation for mental anguish.

Medical expenses tend to pile up quickly for accident victims, so getting the right recovery is important. This means that victims should consider seeking compensation for both current and future medical expenses. Compensation for current medical expenses requires that victims demonstrate how their expenses are related to their injuries. Achieving compensation for future medical expenses involves demonstrating that the injuries suffered in an accident will require continuous or future care.

Compensation for other economic damages can range greatly in scope. For example, compensation for lost wages and lost earning capacity might seem similar, but they are two distinct damages for which a victim can seek recovery. When a West Virginia resident suffers injuries in a collision, getting the right compensation is essential for recovery, so victims should be certain that they understand the different applicable damages.